Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education announces award selection process
Award recognizes accomplishments related to standards and student learning
In 2004, The Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS) established the Ted K. Miller Achievement of Excellence Award to be given to an individual, higher education institution, or professional association in recognition of outstanding accomplishments in advancing standards of practice and quality assurance in educational programs and services in higher education. The enhancement of student developmental learning remains at the very core of the mission of CAS.
The recipient of the award will be invited to present their work to the CAS Board of Directors meeting in April 2008. In addition to covering the travel expenses for the presentation, CAS will present $1,000 and a plaque to the award recipient.
Following is a list of criteria for nomination in one of three categories:
Criteria for institutions
- Standards are identified and used to guide practice
- Student learning was enhanced in the institution through the application of standards and assessment of outcomes
- The application of standards has contributed to the development of a culture of assessment within an institution
- CAS standards were instrumental in facilitating assessment and change and are reflected in their publications and among faculty members and staff
Criteria for organizations/professional associations
- Standards are identified and used to guide practices
- Student learning was enhanced in the organization/professional association through the application of standards and assessment of outcomes
- The application of standards has contributed to the development of culture of assessment within an organization/professional association
- CAS standards were instrumental in facilitating assessment and change and are reflected in publications and professional activities
Criteria for individuals
- Outstanding leadership or creative initiative in the promotion of standards in higher education, and/or in the field of student developmental learning
- Significant publications and/or other professional activities in the field of standards, their application and relevant assessment of student developmental learning
- CAS standards are reflected and the goals of CAS promoted in their publications, facilitated assessment activities, and are significantly included in their work and/or through professional activities
Process for application
Nominations for the award or applications from individuals or representatives of higher education institutions or associations are accepted for consideration.
Applications or nominations should include a narrative explanation documenting how the institution or the individual meets the criteria listed above. Documentation of the following will be important in evaluating the accomplishments of institutions:
A. A detailed description of the use of standards by the organization, association, institution, or individual, especially the CAS standards
B. Demonstrated achievement of the criteria listed above
C. Letters of support are welcome
Please forward nominations, 3 copies of the documentation requested, and any other material that supports the nomination or application to:
Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education
ATTN: Phyllis Mable, Executive Director
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20036-1188
Deadline for application is February 15, 2008
CAS promotes standards in student affairs, student services, and student development programs. NIRSA's Standards Committee works with a NIRSA Member representative to the CAS Board to periodically review and update the standards relating to collegiate recreational sports.