Spread the word: National Recreational Sports & Fitness Day is February 22
No matter how you choose to honor it, don’t let February 22 go by without sharing our NIRSA philosophy with the larger community
Why February 22?
In April 1999, NIRSA Members passed a resolution to encourage an annual national celebration of its founding date, February 22, 1950. This celebration promotes the tremendous benefits of participation in recreational sports, and honors the representatives of 11 Historically Black Colleges/Universities who first met at Dillard University in New Orleans to form the National Intramural Association, NIRSA’s predecessor.
Join NIRSA’s 4,000+ members February 22 in calling national attention to the many positive benefits that people of all ages enjoy when they participate in recreational sports, fitness activities and wellness programs.
Here are just a few ways to celebrate and get media coverage be creative!
- Invite national/state experts, local physicians, health officials, and fitness professionals to join you.
- Create social events by having your governor, state representatives, mayor, city council or campus officials proclaim February 22 National Recreational Sports & Fitness Day.
- Conduct a fitness festival by organizing campus-wide faculty and student fitness activities, such as a walk or run.
- NIRSA Associate Members can provide support with signs, banners, prizes, and T-shirts for sport competitions.
- Inspire people to start a new fitness activity by holding a public demonstration of martial arts, aerobics, tai chi, swimming, weightlifting, or yoga.
Contact Mary Callender for more information. You can also check our online resources and let us know how you plan to participate.