Reward yourself with a NIRSA Foundation Professional Scholarship
Scholarships offer development opportunities for Professional Members
Are you the typical multi-tasking Professional Member of NIRSA whose mind and energy are focused on no less than a thousand things at once? Are you too busy to plan for your own professional development? Are you caught up in any one or all of the following?
- Busy finishing up fall semester programs and looking ahead to all those tasks needed to prepare for spring
- Being the mentor, teacher, and role model who fosters professional development of your students staff and participants
- Being a mentor to junior staff or being a valued eager young professional on a staff of veterans
- Trying to sort out where you are professionally and where you want to be in one, five, ten or twenty years down the road
- Wondering if you will be able to get institutional funding or pay your own way to the NIRSA Annual Conference & Recreational Sports Exposition or other NIRSA sponsored schools, institutes, or symposia
Well, the answer is probably yes you are busy, you put your own career development on hold at times, and you could use financial assistance to develop professionally.
Take action reward yourself
Regardless of where you are in your professional life, the NIRSA Foundation Professional Scholarship Program can help you further your career by providing financial assistance to attend various NIRSA educational programs.
This financial assistance is made possible by the past and ongoing generosity of the many NIRSA Members and Associate Members, Corporate Partners, and friends of recreational sports who have helped build the NIRSA Foundation endowment to its present level of nearly $800,000.
Three scholarships available
The following three scholarships are available. Apply online by January 15!
- Will Holsberry Endowed Scholarships (2)
The Will Holsberry Endowment was established in 1997 in recognition of Will Holsberry’s 24-year service to the Association. As the third Executive Director of NIRSA, the Association experienced tremendous growth under his direction. Will’s vision, dedication, persistence and especially his commitment to NIRSA are the elements that made him such an outstanding advocate for educating professionals within recreational sports. The Will Holsberry Endowment provides a Professional Member of NIRSA the opportunity to attend either the National School of Recreational Sports Management; National Recreation Facilities Institute; Collegiate Sport Club Symposium; National Fitness Institute; National Aquatic Institute; or Annual Conference & Recreational Sports Exposition.
- Anthony (Tony) J. Chivetta Endowed Scholarship (1)
In 2005, Christopher Chivetta established The Anthony (Tony) J. Chivetta Endowment in honor of the works and passions of his father, Tony Chivetta. The Anthony (Tony) J. Chivetta Endowment provides a Professional Member of NIRSA the opportunity to attend the National Recreation Facilities Institute or the Annual Conference & Recreational Sports Exposition.
Professional Scholarships are awarded based on the applicant’s financial need, service to the Association, involvement, and leadership. Questions concerning scholarship applications may be directed to Heidi Cleary at the NIRSA National Center, 541-766-8211.
Application deadline and notification
All scholarship applicants must complete and submit their application electronically by Monday, January 15, 2007. Applicants will be notified of the success of their application by February 16.
- Current NIRSA membership is required for scholarship application.
- Applications must be submitted by the deadline.
- Applicant is limited to one NIRSA Foundation scholarship during the calendar year.
- Applicant is limited to receiving one NIRSA Foundation Scholarship per NIRSA Foundation Endowment category.
- Applicant is limited to receiving no more than one NIRSA Foundation Scholarship/Award within three years.