NCCS Committee Summit examines the future of NIRSA extramural and sport club championships
Attendees of the NCCS Committee Summit at the NIRSA National Center in Corvallis, Oregon.
The NIRSA National Center in Corvallis hosted the first National Campus Championship Series (NCCS) Committee Summit June 27-29. Stakeholders from both extramural and sport club backgrounds gathered together to take a fresh look at the NCCS, with the goals of enhancing the event experiences at all levels, improving coordination and consistency among events, and maximizing sponsorship opportunities connected with the series.
Highlights included the development of guiding principles for the NCCS and the establishment of multiple work teams to focus on issues of site selection, the process of incorporating new sport championships (including the NCCS National Flag Football Championship), the regional map, and others. More details on the outcomes of the summit will appear in upcoming member communications.
“The level of passion and collaboration demonstrated by this group over the past two days was phenomenal,” said Dan Hazlett, Georgia Institute of Technology, NCCS Committee Chair. “We really appreciate the commitment shown by the NIRSA Services Corporation in allowing us the opportunity to meet and openly discuss a lot of these important issues. I’m pleased with the progress that we made and optimistic about the future of the National Campus Championship Series.”
The NCCS Committee, which reports to the NSC, encourages members to contact them with questions or feedback regarding the NCCS.
Attending the summit were (front row, l-r):
- Ryan Rejda, NIRSA Sport Programs Assistant
- Kathleen Hatch, Washington State University, NSC Board liaison
- Stephanie Thompson, Texas State University
- Chad Ellsworth, Arizona State University, Chair of the Extramurals Committee
- Dan Hazlett, Georgia Institute of Technology, Chair of the NCCS Committee
- Randall Ford, University of Texas at Austin, Chair of the Sport Club Championships Committee
- Mary Callender, former NIRSA Director of National Sport Programs
- Nick Todorovich, NIRSA Coordinator of National Sport Programs
- Katherine Otten, NIRSA Assistant Director of Marketing
- Barry Brown, NIRSA Director of Marketing
- Ken Hill, The Ohio State University
- Kurt Klier, University of Maryland
- Lisa Hanson, North Carolina State University
- Jeff Elbracht, Washington State University
- Cat Cramp, Pepperdine University
- Eric Nickel, James Madison University, NSC Board liaison
- Mirum Washington-White, University of Arizona
- David Dunham, University of California, Merced
- Valerie McCutchan, NIRSA Director of National Sport Programs
- Kent Blumenthal, NIRSA Executive Director
- Jacob Tingle, Trinity University (unable to attend)